photobucket             Photobucket            Photobucket            Photobucket            Photobucket           

5 Easy Ways to Overcome A Creative Block

Art by EeeBee on Etsy

All crafters have been here. You sit down to work on a project and it's almost as if all of your creative juices have left you. This, my friends, can be referred to as a creative block. Even some of the most creative people experience this feeling. When this happens to me, I often try to make myself be creative, which generally results in creative fails. Luckily there are several ways to trick yourself into being creative.

Here are a few ways that I inspire creativity within myself: 

1. Browse Etsy. I love to check the front page of Etsy. I have seen some of the most unique ideas and colors schemes and they almost always inspire me to create. I am not suggesting that you copy another artist's designs, but the act of simply looking at other work might help get you out of your funk.

2. Watch crafting videos. Whenever I feel especially uncreative, I like to get on YouTube and watch videos on how to make specific things. I'm a visual person, so I like to see the technique rather than read instructions.


Photo from Pinterest
3. Organize your area. If you are anything like me, your crafting area tends to get very messy very quick. Even my most organized drawers can quickly become unorganized when I am working on a project. The simple act of picking up, organizing, and throwing out unnecessary items always helps me feel more creative. Most crafters are visual people, so their surroundings can greatly effect how they feel. Put things that you like or that inspire you around this room. You can also check out Everything Etsy for craft room inspiration!

4. Get out and go to a craft store. Sometimes when I'm in a creative rut I like to go to craft stores and look around. Even if I don't purchase anything or need any supplies, sometimes it helps just to look at supplies and imagine how I could make the piece unique!

5. And last (but certainly not least) check out Pinterest! If you are a crafter and you haven't joined Pinterest yet, you are really missing out! Pinterest provides ideas for crafting experts and novices alike. I am inspired to create things on a daily basis thanks to this wonderful website! You can find my boards here.

I hope that these ideas help to get you out of creative ruts. What do you do to overcome crafter's block? I'd love to hear your ideas!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...